We know yoga keeps our minds and bodies strong, but what about targeting a specific need, such as losing belly fat? All forms of yoga are beneficial, however, if you’re looking to reduce belly fat (and who isn’t??), holding specific yoga poses for a significant amount of time has been proven to burn away belly fat.
Morning is usually best for yoga, as it clears your mind and places you into a great energy flow for the day. Plus, you’ll be more mindful of when you’re snacking unnecessarily or eating when you’re not hungry.
Using the poses below will help flatten your belly, relieve digestive issues (gas and bloating!) and even increase low metabolism. These types of ailments are held in the Solar Plexus chakra, along with your personal power and confidence; so, you are also doing chakra-balancing poses!
This is essentially the best pose, to begin with, because it relaxes your body and muscles, easing you into a more flexible state.
- Sit on your mat and begin to take several deep breaths in and exhale slowly.
- Next, get your body in an all-fours position with knees wide open to meet the edges of the mat.
- Place your feet closely together before sitting down gently on your heels.
- Stretch your arms out in front of you with palms facing down.
- Lay your forehead down on the mat and let your back stretch out. Remain like this for at least one minute and be aware of your breathing. Exhale deeply upon release of the pose.
- Stand on your mat with knees bent and feet placed flat on the floor.
- Straighten your spine and slightly lean back while lifting your feet. Your knees should be aligned with the floor.
- Pull in your lower back and lift the chest. You should feel your front torso lengthening.
- Stretch both arms out in front of you, keeping them aligned with your shoulders and palms facing inward.
- Balance on your sit bones while keeping your spine straight.
- Stretch out the torso so that the sacral chakra (the area below your navel) should feel firm and flat.
- Straighten your legs to an above-ground angle and position your body into a “V” shape. Remain like this for at least one minute and be aware of your breathing. Exhale deeply upon release of the pose.
- Lie flat on the mat with your stomach on the floor and feet apart. Your arms should be beside your body.
- Next, bring your legs up, stretch your arms back to grab hold of the bottoms of your feet.
- Lift your chest and legs off the mat. Keep your head and face looking straight ahead. Remember to relax your face as you do this.
- Pay attention to your breath as you let yourself relax into the pose.
- Remain like this for about 5 deep inhales and slow exhales. Exhale deeply and slowly upon release of the pose.
A few additional yoga poses for losing belly fat are “The Downward Dog”, “The Fish Pose” and “The Plow”. Regardless of which ones you use, it’s important to remember to put extra focus on your breathing during every yoga pose. This helps the mind, body and soul reap the emotional and physical benefits that go along with your weight loss.